12 Posts

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 726
  • stats Total Posts: 523
  • stats Total Topics: 276
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 19
  • stats Most Online: 181

Author Topic: Tethering Thrive to unrooted android phone  (Read 1724 times)

hodgestl

• View Profile
Tethering Thrive to unrooted android phone
« on: September 21, 2011, 09:19:28 pm »

I have had a Sprint EVO 3G for over a year and really like it. Just got the Thrive and its great at home with my home wifi network.  But I am would really like to be able to tether the Thrive to my phone to use the phones internet access when I am not at home. (or in a wifi area). I really DON'T want to pay Sprint $30 per month for the wifi hotspot, and I don't feel comfortable rooting the phone. PDANet worked great on my laptop, but with the PDANet Tablet (Beta) I'm not so sure... Any other ideas out there?Please help!

akaruna

• View Profile
Re: Tethering Thrive to unrooted android phone
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 05:49:48 pm »
in all honesty you would have to root both of them, the evo and the thrive. from everything i have read, everything points to having a modified wifi stack on the thrive to enable adhoc connections to be connectable and or visible on the thrive. and the evo will have to be rooted to enable a 3rd party wifi tether to work without having to pay sprint that extra $30 a month. if i am wrong on the thrive part  someone please correct me on this. but on the evo part i do know that is the only way.
 :)